Monday, January 4, 2010

Tater's Sick

Tate has postponed my return to school this week. He woke up at 3 am feeling yucky, before 6 he got sick and I darted up to school to get my classroom ready. We dropped Julian off at school and walked him in to his class. Tate was nestled up on my shoulder cuddling as close as he possible could. We went in at Julian's request...he asked that I let his teacher know about the loss of our cousin and ask for her permission to let him write about it in his writing journal. She, of course, said he could write about it as much as he likes. I think he felt uncertain about how to share such sad news with someone. On our way out of school we saw a good friend of ours whose son plays sports with Julian. Tate saw Mr. Po and lifted his head for the first time since we got out of our car and said "I'm sick." Mr. Po placed his hand on Tate's back and said, "What's the matter little Tater?" Tate replied "Oh, you better stay back..." His fever was moderate most of the day (around 102) and he was mellow wanting me to just lay with him - but no other symptoms. This afternoon it spiked to nearly 105 and put us in full cool down mode. It worked and by the time he went to bed he'd leveled off back at 102.

Even with a fever of 104.8, he still has a sweet smile for me.

No comments: